The Level 2 Award in Safe Manual Handling for the Workplace qualification is designed for learners who are involved in the manual handling of objects within the workplace. It may be particularly relevant for new starters as part of an induction programme.
The Level 2 Award in Safe Manual Handling for the Workplace course builds on the best practice guidance from the Health and Safety Executive and provides learners with the opportunity to practice safe moving principles.
The Health and Safety and Work Act 1974 and the Manual Handling Operation Regulations 1992 require each employer to provide adequate supervision and training and as well as undertake manual handling risk assessments. This qualification will support employers to demonstrate their commitment to the legal obligations.
1. Understand the reasons for safe manual handling
- 1.1 Outline the potential injuries and ill health associated with incorrect manual handing
- 1.2 Outline employers and employees duties relating to manual handling at work
- 1.3 Outline the consequences for non-compliance with health and safety requirements at work
2. Understand how manual handling risk assessments contribute to improving health and safety
- 2.1 Explain the terms ‘hazard’ and ‘risk’ in the context of manual handling work
- 2.2 Outline the process for carrying out a manual handling risk assessment
- 2.3 Describe the principle of the risk control hierarchy when applied to manual handling
3. Understand the principles, types of equipment and testing requirements associated with manual handling safety
- 3.1 Describe safe movement principles associated with manual handling
- 3.2 Outline the types of equipment designed to be used for manual handling tasks
- 3.3 Outline the requirements for the testing, servicing and examination of manual handling and lifting equipment
4. Be able to apply safe manual handling principles
- 4.1 Demonstrate efficient and safe manual handling principles when;
- A. Applying effort to, or moving a load or object manually on their own
- B. When using manual handling aids and equipment
- C. When undertaking a manual handling task as part of a team